Sunday, 18 March 2018

Magazines will live on!


Magazines will live on
Emma Rossum
March 18, 2018

Print production, which is arguably the first form of mass communication, still holds a place within media (Pavlik & McIntosh, 2017). Print media serve social functions, such as “cultural transmissions from generation to generation, the diffusion of ideas and knowledge, and entertainment” (Pavlik & Mcintosh, 2017, p. 64). Although the early forms and social functions of both magazines and newspapers are interwoven, magazines continue to maintain advantages over newspapers as relevant paper-produced products. Therefore, magazines will outlive newspapers.

Many magazines are thriving due to their relevance, aesthetic, timeliness, and accessibility (Bonner & Roberts, 2017). A study done by Bonner and Roberts suggests that, “lumping magazines in with newspapers is unfair to magazines—and inaccurate when assessing readership trends and audience perspectives of product value” (pg. 2, 2017).

Unlike newspapers' traditional news coverage, magazines are a more of a leisurely activity surrounding niche, individual markets and are consistently allowing space for new trends and designs (Bonner & Roberts, 2017). Magazines remain relevant because they continue to find ways to meet the readers’ uses and gratifications, and therefore will outlive newspapers (Bonner & Roberts, 2017). Although the production of print media is costly, the physical feel of print outweighs the convenience and accessibility of digital content (Bonner & Roberts, 2017).

Three clear factors distinguish magazines from other print sources. Magazines feature long-form writing, are published in less frequent intervals which results in less time-sensitive writing and more in depth pieces, and are published on high quality paper to be kept longer (Pavlik & McIntosh, 2017). Magazines offer sophisticated design techniques and long-form writing, unlike newspapers, and will therefore outlive newspapers.

Much of today’s content is produced and read online and, “reading linear narrative and expository texts on a computer screen leads to poorer reading comprehension than reading the same texts on paper” (Mangen, Walgremo & Bronnick, 2013, p. 67). Our brains use physical cues, such as the position of the pages and the thickness of the book itself to help in the memory process when reading (Mangen et. al, 2013). These physical cues are eliminated when reading online, and will therefore keep print alive.

Although print magazines seem secure for today’s generations of digital natives, it is near impossible to determine the future of print media within future generations (Pavlik & McIntosh, 2017). That being said, thanks to high quality production and trend awareness, magazines sales are growing, and in most cases, are exceeding newspaper sales (Pavlik & McIntosh, 2017).

Bonner, E., & Roberts, C. (2017). Millennials and the future of magazines: How the generation of digital natives will determine whether magazines survive. Journal Of Magazine & New Media Research, 17(2), 1-14.

Pavlik, J.V., & McIntosh, S. (2017). Converging media: A new introduction to mass communication. 5th ed. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.

Mangen, A. & Walgermo, B. & Bronnick, K. (2013). Reading linear texts on paper versus computer screen: Effects on reading comprehension. International Journal of Educational Research. 58. 61-68. 10.


8 comments:

  1. I would agree with this article, as similar as newspapers and magazines can be, the more pop culture oriented magazines will outlive factual based newspapers. Magazines feature the "click-bait" headlines that have been proven to work online already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that magazines will always be around! I much prefer holding and reading a magazine as opposed to reading something digitally or online. I enjoyed reading all your research that enforces magazines still, and always will, have a place in mass communication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although digital media has many advantages over print media, I agree with you that magazines still have a place within media. I think the digital world forgets about human senses; touch, smell, taste, sight and hearing. Magazines appeal to three of these, where really only sight is evoked when using digtal media. (I personally love the smell of magazines...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that magazines still have place within modern media. Even with all our options for technology entertainment, we still have nice, classic reading to rely on if those high-tech options aren’t available. Plus reading off paper just feels more natural than reading off a screen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though reading online is so much easier now, I agree that magazines and print media will always be around. One day maybe they will become more of a novelty. Sometimes I like printing out an assigned reading instead of looking at it online. I'm not sure if it's the idea of physically having it in my hands, but there is something about it that makes my mind absorb the information better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree! Magazines will have a much better presence over newsprint. Having it in your hands is much better then looking at a screen to read articles. In my opinion magazines are interesting as there are all types of magazines so there will be one type or issue that will really interest a reader where as newspapers have so much but nothing in the same way a magazine does have to interest different types of people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree magazines have a place in the media and will surely outlive newspapers. Though I believe digital media threatens there existence. I used to always enjoy the practice of sitting down and flipping the pages of the recent vogue publication. I don't often buy the physical magazine anymore as its become more economically sound and convenient to use my phone to consume media.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the tactile feel of a good magazine. Nothing beats reading a magazine on the ferry. It used to be something I did often when I was younger and able to afford going back and forth on the ferry. I hope they never die and I love the long form articles and even the advertising beats TV, radio, internet and newspaper as far as being eye catching and innovative. Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete

Magazines will live on!

Magazines will live on Emma Rossum March 18, 2018 Print production, which is arguably the first form of mass commu...